October is breast cancer awareness month!
Other than skin cancer, breast cancer is the most common cancer among American women. Each year more than 250,000 women get breast cancer and 42,000 die from the disease. Men can also get breast cancer yet it is not as common. Approximately 1 out of every 100 breast cancers diagnosed in the United States is found in a man.
How to reduce your risk of breast cancer:
- Keep a healthy weight.
- Exercise regularly.
- Limit, or refrain from drinking alcohol.
- Breastfeed your children.
- Get regularly scheduled mammograms.
- If you are taking hormone replacement therapy or birth control pills consult with your doctor about any risks.
- Talk with your doctor if you have a family history.
Some common symptoms of breast cancer include:
- Any change in the shape or size of breast.
- Pain in any area of the breast.
- Nipple discharge other than breast milk (including blood).
- A new lump in breast or underarm.